Friday, January 9, 2009

Daniel's Birthday Adventure






Paul worked today at CTS (computer technical services). It’s Daniel’s 11th birthday! A man that’s been a missionary here for many years organized a two hour hike to nearby Ukarumpa village. Daniel, Rachel, Michael and I left Jessica with a friend and joined about 25 others for the hike. What I didn’t realize ahead of time (and it’s a good thing) was that right after we went through the gate we’d have to cross a very, very dilapidated bridge over the river. Walking up high on narrow places is one of my least favorite things to do in the whole world. I prayed (and bent over and used my hands – not quite crawling) and I made it! This village is just outside the gate and sprawls over a large area of land. The main center where we’re serving is named after this village. It was great to see the houses and gardens and meet people. One house was under construction. When it’s done it will last 5, 10, maybe 20 years and then more trees will be cut for a new one. The houses don’t last as long as the type we’re used to but hey – THERE”S NO MORTGAGE!!! It was a fun hike and Daniel had a great birthday.





No comments: