Friday, February 12, 2010

Bavi

Bavi is a friend of mine - a sister in Christ, She is a widow with a five year old girl and a 6 year old boy.  Wednesday she came here to work which involves a 2 hour walk up and down a mountain...one way.  We sing songs together, worship songs that have been translated into Tok Pisin.  One of our favorites is He Knows My Name. 
 
The heavy rains have ruined a lot of the gardens, including Bavi's.  She is planting a new garden and it will be ready in about 3 or 4 months.  She and her children don't have a lot to eat and certainly not a lot of variety.  Her attitude amazes me though. She said "God says in His Word, in Matthew, not to worry about what you'll eat, so I pray and don't worry."  She was working in her garden when a woman stopped and gave her 10 kau kau (like potatoes) without expecting anything in return.  That was a God moment. 
 
Talking with her causes me to pause and think about how different our lives are - our attitudes.  I have milk, rice, flour, sugar, peanuts, fruit, vegetables, meat, cheese...the list goes on and on.  I open the refrigerator and think "there's nothing to eat." I have a lot to learn from Bavi!
 
 

No comments: