Saturday, January 1, 2011

Cash crop?

Yesterday Laura and I went to visit our friends in a village called
Banana Block. It is just about a 10 minute drive but we feel like we
are entering a whole different world when we visit. The main purpose of
our village was to distribute baby blankets our friend Helen gave me
when I was down in Australia.

Our friend Hagu was showing us around the village when I spotted an odd
looking plant and thought to myself this sure looks like a pot plant. I
asked him and sure enough that's what it was. I had never seen pot
plants in PNG but have heard that the type that grows here is extremely
potent and have been told that some people get really messed up when
they use it. I asked Hagu if he's smokes it. He said he doesn't but
some of the young guys do.

No comments: