Sunday, March 6, 2011

Village Trip

I had been wanting to see the family we lived with for 5 weeks since they had a new baby girl back in June.  Plus it was a good excuse to go on a long ride on my motorcycle.  I left on a Thursday morning about 8:30 and arrived in Madang 4 hours later.  Not knowing how much fuel my motorcycle would use I carried some petrol in a juice container in my duffel bag.  I ended up not needing it since there was a gas station about 1/2 way there.
The ride from Madang to the village normally is a 3 hour drive by car or PMV (Public Motor Vehicle) but I was able to make it in 1 1/2 hours mainly because I didn't have to slow down for the many potholes along the way.
Everybody was excited to see me arrive at the village.  The husband of our host family (Waspapa) had just caught a huge Red Emperor fish that morning and we had that for dinner that night along with rice cooked in coconut milk. It was extremely hot there and I drank about 8 green drinking coconuts. 

This man is the oldest man in the village with his grandson.  He is in his 80's but knowbody could tell me exactly how old he was.




The village is right on the coast on a beautiful beach.
 Waspapa is building a new outrigger canoe.



I had a turn trying out an outrigger canoe in the lagoon.  I can't believe they take these out in the open ocean. 



A family visits from a neighboring village.

Here is a typical house about 20 meters from the water.



One of the highlights of the trip was meeting their new daughter.  They named her Laura.



We made friends with this couple when we lived in the village and they named their baby boy in the pink shorts Dokken.



I brought the game of Bopit and left it with them.  They really had fun playing it.



The main source of income for this village is selling coconut meat.  Here are some men husking coconuts.  Very hard work.



Waspa's house had a leaky roof so the custom is instead of fixing it they just build a new one. 
Not many people had seen a motorcycle before and they were all very curious.  When I stopped at a place to fuel up I started taking with 2 men. After a few minutes I realized there was a crowd of about 50 people surrounding me and my motorcyle trying to listen to what I was saying. 


I  returned home without any incidents.  As you can tell by my smile and the dirt on my face, I had a great time.




























1 comment:

lee said...

Very cool Paul!! Glad you had a good trip :) -Lee